Abusing MDC trace

Mike_Gere

Suave
Jul 22, 2020
IC
Mike_Gere
I think that the MDC system is slightly overpowered. It gives cops a seriously unfair advantage over criminals.

If a player either doesn't have a phone, or has their phone switched off, no matter what, the cops will always be able to trace your exact location. I understand that there's only a handful of cops abusing this system, but if there's anyway that it could be sorted that would be greatly appreciated. There's no RP way that PD should be able to track you down if you don't have a phone. There argument is always 'CCTV', but nobody ever roleplays it anyway, they just use it as an excuse for bug abuse.

Furkan

Kamikaze
FBI
Dedicated
May 5, 2019
Turkey
IC
Hiroshi_Nakamura
no matter what, the cops will always be able to trace your exact location.
Actually no. It will give your location name, it won't give the place exactly. For example, if you are standing in front of ASGH, it will show up Market. If you are in Grove Street, it will write. It will give your current area name not exact location, IF they close this too, LEOs won't be able to find you. This is Ultimate Roleplay, who gives a fuck to RP with CCTVs and other shits.

CLick

Deus Ex Machina
LSPD
Dedicated
Jun 2, 2019
IC
Packie_McReary
If a player either doesn't have a phone
I don't know if it's possible to trace a player which doesn't have a phone as I have never tried.

has their phone switched off
About phones, well... every cellphone has a chip inside which allows for law enforcement or federal agency to track down your phone even if it's off.

Last edited:

Dimitry

Apr 20, 2020
IC
Dimitry_Reznikov
Yes, it's being abused and the same happened with me twice, it shows the players location just like /members if I'm correct, which is MGing if you use it for RP purposes and they will be like we were just patrolling here hi.
IF they close this too, LEOs won't be able to find you.
Well yes, that's why we can drop the phone which later Leone updated to work the same for switching it off instead of dropping it
- MDC will no longer track people with phones turned off
So yea I guess, using that location to find someone is MGing.

TheSwift

The Ultimate
Dedicated
Jan 20, 2018
IC
Michael_Swift
It's simply not possible to trace your location if you don't posses a phone on you.
If you had a decent disguise on you (mask/clothing etc) and yet they found you, report them right away for PG/MG.

Jack_Leroy

Suave
LSPD
Jul 4, 2020
United Kingdom
IC
Jack_Leroy
Yeah cops should not be using the MDC to track people especially without a cell phone. No one is able to be tracked if they don’t have a phone, simple as. This issue needs to be fixed.

Jack_Leroy

Suave
LSPD
Jul 4, 2020
United Kingdom
IC
Jack_Leroy
I don't know if it's possible to trace a player which doesn't have a phone as I have never tried

About phones, well... every cellphone has a chip inside which allows for law enforcement or federal agency to track down your phone even if it's off.
Phones cannot be tracked unless switched on. The second the phone is switched on IRL is connects to a local mast which will give the general area. You cannot track a phone which isn’t connected to masts.

CLick

Deus Ex Machina
LSPD
Dedicated
Jun 2, 2019
IC
Packie_McReary
Phones cannot be tracked unless switched on. The second the phone is switched on IRL is connects to a local mast which will give the general area. You cannot track a phone which isn’t connected to masts.
Don't forget that phones can be tracked via SIM card aswell.

Jack_Leroy

Suave
LSPD
Jul 4, 2020
United Kingdom
IC
Jack_Leroy
Don't forget that phones can be tracked via SIM card aswell.
How do you track a sim card IRL? So if I purchase a SIM card and never use it, I can be tracked? Never heard of that before.. 🤦🏻 the SIM card has to be in the phone , which in essence connects to a cell tower / mast. A SIM card that is not connected to a phone with power will not work thus not be traceable.

CLick

Deus Ex Machina
LSPD
Dedicated
Jun 2, 2019
IC
Packie_McReary
How do you track a sim card IRL?
The police and federal agencies have a special software in their possession which can track the phone trough SIM by network towers or WIFI hotspots.

So if I purchase a SIM card and never use it, I can be tracked?
Speaking in real life logic, it's impossible. But since this is a game and exceptions are made, when you buy a phone from the 24/7 it comes with a SIM card aswell. Allowing to call people, text, etc.

Jack_Leroy

Suave
LSPD
Jul 4, 2020
United Kingdom
IC
Jack_Leroy
The police and federal agencies have a special software in their possession which can track the phone trough SIM by network towers or WIFI hotspots.
Exactly, but the phone has to be switched on so that the sim card can connect to the mast. If you don't own a phone then you can't and shouldn't be able to be traced.

Jack_Leroy

Suave
LSPD
Jul 4, 2020
United Kingdom
IC
Jack_Leroy
Actually no. It will give your location name, it won't give the place exactly. For example, if you are standing in front of ASGH, it will show up Market. If you are in Grove Street, it will write. It will give your current area name not exact location, IF they close this too, LEOs won't be able to find you. This is Ultimate Roleplay, who gives a fuck to RP with CCTVs and other shits.
He is on about the MDC trace when you’re wanted, which does give an accurate location. Not the /find.